Start your digital campus in 2021! COVID-19 has made digital church an option for many that will not go away. Even as we re-gather in our buildings we will need to be "both and" churches. This is an opportune time to grow virtual ministry and the Dakotas-Minnesota Area is creating a pathway for qualified leaders to start and formalize a digital campus in 2021.
The Digital Campus Initiative is a comprehensive program for establishing and growing your virtual ministries. It includes:
- Development of the campus leader, a "digitally fluent" individual, who can dedicate 20-30 hours per month over the next year to establish and grow the digital campus.
- Extensive training for the campus leader and lead pastor to establish a campus using the model laid out by Nona Jones in her book From Social Media to Social Ministry.
- Continued coaching and peer support throughout the year.
- A grant of $3,000 to to support the campus leader's stipend. Congregations will be expected to contribute at least $1,000 additional funding to increase this stipend.
Here are some of the details:
- Grants for the Initiative are limited to 10 congregations for each conference —10 for the Dakotas conference and 10 for the Minnesota Conference. The application process is expected to be competitive. Church leaders not receiving grants are welcome to participate in the program at no cost.
- Congregations are encouraged to seek out young leaders, ages 16-26, for the campus leader position (young adults tend to have stronger orientation toward social media); however, there is no age limit or requirement to apply.
- Participants will be notified beginning January 28, 2021.
- Training begins February 6, 2021; both the campus leader and the lead pastor are expected to participate in training.
- Virtual training sessions, with interactive with discussion, will be held:
- Saturday, February 6, 2021, at 8:30 to 10:30 a.m., mountain time, 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. central time
- Saturday, February 13, 2021, at 8:30 to 10:30 a.m., mountain time, 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. central time
- Saturday, February 20, 2021, at 8:30 to 10:30 a.m., mountain time, 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. central time
- Saturday, February 27, 2021, at 8:30 to 10:30 a.m., mountain time, 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. central time
- Self-study versions, including video and study questions, will be available the week following each session.
- Grants will be distributed in two parts. One-half of the grant funds will be awarded after training is completed. One-half of the grand funding will be awarced six months into the implementation ofthe ministry model.
Applications are to be completed by the digital campus leader.
Deadline for applications is January 24, 2021.
Contact Ben Ingebretson with questions regarding the program.
Contact Gail Johnson with questions regarding the application process.
The Digital Campus Initiative is sponsored by the Dakotas-Minnesota Area, new church development and multiplication efforts, Rev. Ben Ingebretson serves as the director.