What is UMConnect?
The name UMConnect stands for United Methodist Connection, a robust video conferencing system. The system allows people to meet and interact by real-time voice and video via a laptop, desktop computer, tablet, smart phone or a video conference room. The platform is hosted by Bluejeans.
Who uses UMConnect?
The system is to be used by United Methodists in Minnesota, North Dakota and South Dakota and across the connection. Priority isgiven to conference groups that are conducting business on behalf of the Dakotas or Minnesota conference or the episcopal area office. These groups are identified in the official Journal of the conferences.
How do I participate in a meeting via UMConnect?
You will be sent an e-mail invitation with a link to “Join the Meeting”. You can click on the link, download the BlueJeans App—if you are using for the first time and join the meeting. Watch this video for hints in how to get started.
Before the meeting happens:
- Set up your devices (speakers, microphone, and camera, if available).
- Test your connection by going to bluejeans.com/111.
- To avoid dropped calls, wired is better than wireless.
- To avoid echo, use headsets or earphones.
- Minimize distractions. Close other computer programs or apps. Be in a quiet place.
During the meeting:
- Arrive early. Don’t get caught fumbling your way into the meeting.
- Mute yourself when not speaking. Coughs and keyboard clicks are louder than you think.
- Consider your impression. Ensure you have good camera angle and adequate lighting.