Deans and Camp Volunteers
Be a Camp Volunteer!
We are so excited to work alongside you for what promises to be another great summer at your camps! Thank you so much for your gifts of time, commitment, leadership, and love with the children, youth and adults of the Dakotas and Minnesota UMC Conferences. There are a lot of exciting things happening in camp and retreat ministries and we're eager to share some highlights with you.
All persons interested in serving as a camp deans/volunteer counselors in the Dakotas-Minnesota Area Camp and Retreat Ministries program are required to complete a Volunteer Application and an annual background check. Simply Register Online for the camp you will be assisting with. Once registered, the Volunteer Application will be available in the Online Forms section of your registration Dashboard. This application should be completed a minimum of two weeks before camp to allow time to complete background checks. Thank you for serving in this ministry!
Below are forms and helpful resources for a positive experience at camp for you and the campers.
Dean/Volunteer Counselor Required Documentation
The forms listed below must be completed online in order for deans and adult volunteers to serve at camp. They may be found in the Forms section of your Campwise online registration dashboard. An annual signature is required for each document.
- Volunteer Application
- Volunteer Dean/Leader Agreement (Signature required in the Volunteer Application via Campwise.)
- Social Media and Communication Guidelines (Signature required in the Volunteer Application via Campwise.)
- Child Abuse & Neglect Policy Statement and Appendix (Signature required in the Volunteer Application via Campwise.)
- Annual Background Check (Link located in the Volunteer Application)
- Dakotas-Minnesota Area ADULT Camper Medical Information Form
- Dakotas-Minnesota Area Release of Liability Waiver
Dean/Volunteer Counselor Helpful Information
- ONLINE Program Expense Reimbursement Form or PAPER Program Expense Reimbursement Form
- Camping Mission, Core Values, and Outcomes
- Dean's Job Description
- Volunteer Camp Counselor's Job Description
- Parent-Camper Handbook
- LGBTQIA2S+ Guidelines
Come experience the joy of camping firsthand by serving as a camp shepherd. Shepherds work alongside our camp staff and help ensure all campers have a great camp experience. Shepherds should plan to participate in all camp activities, help watch over all campers including supervising cabin time, and assist staff and deans as needed. Whenever possible, shepherds will be placed in overnight cabins with the child/children they’re bringing to camp. However, when moms come with sons and dads with daughters, or if additional staff of the same gender is needed to meet required supervision ratios, shepherds may be placed in sleeping rooms away from their own child/children.
Questions? Please contact the site at which you would like to serve as a shepherd.
All shepherds must register at least seven days prior to the beginning of camp to ensure all necessary documentation is complete, including a required annual background check.
There are a maximum number of shepherds for each camp. So, please register early. The fee for shepherds is $100.00.