Hello! Thank you for your interest in the Lay Academy Training program through the Southwest District of the UMC's Dakotas Conference.
Our goal is to help assist laity in strenghtening their knowledge and skills around planning, preparing and leading the spoken parts of worship, including the message.
This explanation and the brief online application below is part of our new system to help ensure this program is a good fit for you. If your application is approved for the February cohort, you will receive a book and pre-work assignment in the mail, then be:
1) part of a live, online training (through Zoom) from
- Friday, Feb. 2, 2024, 6-9 p.m. CT / 5-8 p.m. MT
- Saturday, Feb 3rd, 2024, 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. CT / 9 a.m. - 3 p.m. MT
2) individually coached the following week as you schedule with your assigned mentor, then
3) deployed Sunday, Feb. 11th or Feb. 18th to provide pulpit supply at a church that is not your home church, to preach the message. We will do our best to arrange for it to be withinan hour's drive of your home. You will receive written feedback from the host pastor of that church and from your coach who will watch the online video.
4) part of a group follow-up discussion as to how the training was helpful or could have been better. This will be schedules to take place following preaching.
Please fill out the form below to apply by January 17th.
If you are invited to attend, a $50 application fee will be required to secure your spot. The fee will be refunded after you have completed the training. If you cancel your registration before attending, the application fee will be forreited, so please check your calendar carefully.