Board of Ordained Ministry
GHBEM E-Resources for COVID response
GBHEM recently launched a page on their website that has a number of resources in response to the COVID pandemic. It's a helpful place for candidates, clergy, and local pastors who are seeking additional information:
Candidate Forum - coming soon - Feb. 14, 2023 at 2pm CDT
Rev. Sara McManus, the registrar for the Dakotas Conference Board of Ordained Ministry, is hosting a forum for candidates for ministry on Tuesday, February 14, 2023, at 2 p.m. CDT/ 1p.m. MDT.
Are you unsure of all the steps and what is next on your journey as a candidate for ministry? Do you know someone who might be a great candidate for ministry but you are not quite sure of all of the information they may need?
Here is your chance to ask questions and get answers! Join a Zoom call to visit with other candidates and a member of the Dakotas Conference Board of Ordained Ministry. Current candidates can get all of the details for everything that needs to be submitted by September 1.
We look forward to seeing you online. You can join anytime: Zoom Link
DAKOTAS LICENSING SCHOOL STARTS JUNE 18-21, 2023
Registration: Open now - please click HERE
Location: Abbey of the Hills in Marvin, SD
Deans: Rev. Eric Van Meter (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Pastor Annie Carlson (email@example.com)
Study Material: syllabi, texts, and assignments to be published soon
Tuition for those serving in the Dakotas Conference: $400
---> $150 of your own participation
---> $250 through the scholarship application
Tuition for those serving in another Conference: $850
For any questions, please contact Rev. Eric Van Meter or Bea Stucke at the Conference Office.
Board of Ordained Ministry Information and Guidelines
The Board of Ordained Ministry is responsible for supporting persons who respond to God's call to professional ministry as an elder, deacon, licensed local pastor, or other certified and licensed ministry options.
For the deacons and elder path:
- Candidacy Guide
- Please contact the BOM registrar Sara McManus with any questions you might have.
- Please note that the psychological assessment track has changed to be managed by the Conference Office and not through UMCARES as of Feb.28, 2021. For any questions, please contact Bea Stucke.
- Before coming for provisional membership, you must complete your educational requirements within 4 months after your expected date of commissioning. For example, if you will complete your final class in September 2020, you may submit your paperwork by September 1, 2019 to be potentially commissioned at Annual Conference 2020.
- Application Requirements for Commissioning as Deacon/ Elder (Provisional Membership)
- Application Requirements for Ordination as Deacon/ Elder (Full Membership)
- Candidacy Guide
For the local licensed pastor and associate member path:
Additional requirement resources: